AMA Queensland provides invaluable support at the early stages of your career, right from graduation and throughout your internship year. We can help to guide you through complex recruitment processes, provide information and career planning advice as well as introduce you to peers and mentors through our vocational support programs. With an increase in graduates, reduced government funding and increased competition for intern places, AMA Queensland membership can help you get established in the medical profession.
Upcoming Intern Events for 2016
In late 2016, AMA Queensland will host a comprehensive range of workshops and hosted lunches to equip you with practical advice and skills to help you survive your intern year in 2017. Further details of these events are available on our Events Calendar
Interested in intern membership? Call our Membership team on (07) 3872 2222 or join online.
Intern Readiness Guide
AMA Queensland and ASMOFQ representatives have been busy visiting hospitals throughout O-Week to greet incoming interns. If we missed you at your hospital, you can view the 2017 Intern Readiness Guide here.
It has plenty of useful information on how both organisations can help interns, residents and registrars.
AMA Queensland Council of Doctors in Training (AMAQ CDT)
The AMA Queensland Council of Doctors in Training (AMAQ CDT) is the peak advocacy group for junior doctors in Queensland. Representatives on CDT come from individual hospitals and medical schools. CDT advocates for junior doctors’ interests and hosts regular social and professional development events for students and doctors in training. As a junior doctor, you are encouraged to participate in CDT.
Through the AMAQ CDT, we advocate collectively on the critical issues affecting interns including:
- Medical workforce shortages. We support a co-ordinated increase in clinical training places for medical students and postgraduate training places for medical graduates
- Intern placements, funding arrangements and the number of postgraduate training places at pre-vocational and vocational (specialist) level
- Appropriate rostering arrangements and payment for all hours worked.
AMA Queensland employs experienced Workplace Relations advisors to assist members on training, assessment and education issues. We provide practical workplace information and dedicated dispute resolution assistance to support you with:
- Policy or assessment issues that arise at your college or hospital
- Advice regarding typical concerns including on-call, fatigue and other rostering issues
Membership of AMA Queensland also entitles you to complimentary membership of our union partner, the Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation of Queensland, (ASMOFQ) who provide personalised advice and representation on your individual industrial matters, work entitlements and individual grievances.
AMA Queensland offers a range of career enhancement services such as:
- Resume writing and interview skills workshops
- Mentoring and networking events to connect junior and senior doctors
- Our Careers Advisory Service offering resume and cover letter review, interview coaching and a wealth of career resources and information.
Through our carefully selected network of Corporate Partners, AMA Queensland offers a range of excellent commercial benefits and discounts to benefit you both professionally and personally. Members have access to exclusive rates and deals on legal and accounting services, banking, finance, travel and cars just to name a few - click here to view the full list.
Interested in hearing more about how membership can support you in practice? Call our Membership team on (07) 3872 2222 or join online.